da Vinci® Bariatric Surgery
If you are considering having bariatric surgery, you may be a candidate for minimally invasive da Vinci Surgery.
Why da Vinci Surgery?
Instead of the large abdominal incision used in open surgery, da Vinci surgeons make just a few small incisions - similar to traditional laparoscopy. The da Vinci System features a magnified 3D high-definition vision system and special wristed instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human wrist. These features enable your surgeon to operate with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control.
As a result of da Vinci technology, da Vinci Surgery offers the following potential benefits:
- Low rate of complications1,2,3,4
- Low rate of wound infection2,3,4
- Short hospital stay1,2,3,4
As a result of da Vinci technology, da Vinci Bariatric Surgery offers the following potential benefits compared to traditional laparoscopy:
- Much lower rate of gastrointestinal leaks1,2
- Lower risk of needing follow-up surgery2
- Lower risk of converting to open surgery2
- Reduced surgeon fatigue5 (due to the da Vinci Systemergonomics)6,7
State-of-the-art da Vinci uses the latest in surgical and robotics technologies and is beneficial for performing complex surgery. Your surgeon is 100% in control of the da Vinci System, which translates his or her hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of tiny instruments inside your body. da Vinci – taking surgery beyond the limits of the human hand.
Physicians have used the da Vinci System successfully worldwide in approximately 1.5 million various surgical procedures to date. da Vinci is changing the experience of surgery for people around the world.
Risks & Considerations Related to Bariatric Surgery
Potential risks of any bariatric procedure may include:
- Fluid leak in gastrointestinal system
- Abdominal pain
- Intestinal blockage
- Nausea with vomiting
In addition to the above risks, there are risks related to minimally invasive surgery, including da Vinci Bariatric Surgery, such as hernia (bulging tissue) at incision site.1 Additionally, morbidly obese patients are typically not candidates for da Vinci Surgery.
- To find a da Vinci surgeon nearest you, use our surgeon locator.
- Snyder BE, Wilson T, Leong BY, Klein C, Wilson EB. Robotic-assisted Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass: minimizing morbidity and mortality. Obes Surg. 2010 Mar;20(3):265-70. Epub 2009 Nov 3.
- Hagen ME, Pugin F, Chassot G, Huber O, Buchs N, Iranmanesh P, Morel P. Reducing Cost of Surgery by Avoiding Complications: the Model of Robotic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass. Obes Surg. 2011 May 3. [Epub ahead of print].
- Diamantis T, Alexandrou A, Nikiteas N, Giannopoulos A, Papalambros E. Initial experience with robotic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity. Obes Surg. 2011 Aug;21(8):1172-9.
- Ayloo S, Buchs NC, Addeo P, Bianco FM, Giulianotti PC. Robot-assisted sleeve gastrectomy for super-morbidly obese patients. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2011 May;21(4):295-9. Epub 2011 Mar 28. 11.
- Fourman MM, Saber AA. Robotic bariatric surgery: a systematic review. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2012 Jul;8(4):483-8. Epub 2012 Mar 29.
- Tieu K, Allison N, Snyder B, Wilson T, Toder M, Wilson E. Robotic-assisted Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: update from 2 high-volume centers. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2012 Jan 16. [Epub ahead of print].
- Yu SC, Clapp BL, Lee MJ, Albrecht WC, Scarborough TK, Wilson EB. Robotic assistance provides excellent outcomes during the learning curve for laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: results from 100 robotic-assisted gastric bypasses. Am J Surg. 2006 Dec;192(6):746-9.
Important Safety Information
Serious complications may occur in any surgery, including da Vinci® Surgery, up to and including death. Individual surgical results may vary. Patients should talk to their doctor to decide if da Vinci Surgery is right for them. Patients and doctors should review all available information on non-surgical and surgical options in order to make an informed decision. Please also refer to http://www.daVinciSurgery.com/Safety for Important Safety Information.
© 2015 Intuitive Surgical, Inc. All rights reserved. Product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.