da Vinci® Endometriosis Resection
Endometriosis happens when tissue that lines the inside of your uterus (endometrium) grows into areas outside the uterus. It can cause mild to severe pain, among other symptoms.
Know Your Options
If your doctor suggests surgery, there are two main options: open surgery through one large incision (cut) and minimally invasive surgery through a few small incisions. Minimally invasive surgery can be done using traditional laparoscopy or da Vinci Surgery (da Vinci Endometriosis Resection or da Vinci Hysterectomy).
Why da Vinci Surgery?
The da Vinci System is a robotic-assisted surgical device that your surgeon is 100% in control of at all times. The da Vinci System gives surgeons:
- 3D HD view inside your body
- Wristed instruments that bend and rotate far greater than the human hand
- Enhanced vision, precision and control
Early Clinical Data Suggests:
da Vinci Endometriosis Resection may offer the following potential benefits:
- Ability for surgeon to complete difficult dissections (separating of tissue)1,2,3
- Low rate of complications1,3,4,5
- Low blood loss3, 5, 7, 8 & low chance for transfusion3,5
- Low rate of switching to open surgery (through large incision)1,3,6,7
The da Vinci System has brought minimally invasive surgery to more than 3 million patients worldwide. da Vinci technology – changing the experience of surgery for people around the world.
- To locate a da Vinci surgeon nearest you, use our surgeon locator.
- Learn more about the da Vinci Surgical System.
Risks & Considerations Related to Endometriosis Resection (endometriosis surgery to remove implants): injury to the bowel, bladder (organ that holds urine) or ureters (ureters drain urine from the kidney into the bladder).
- Collinet P, Leguevaque P, Neme RM, Cela V, Barton-Smith P, Hébert T, Hanssens S, Nishi H, Nisolle M. "Robot-assisted laparoscopy for deep infiltrating endometriosis: international multicentric retrospective study." Surgical Endoscopy 28.8 (2014):2474-2479. Epub.
- Nezhat, Camran, Anna M. Modest, and Louise P. King. "The Role of the Robot in Treating Urinary Tract Endometriosis." Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology 25.4 (2013): 308-11. Print.
- Siesto, Gabriele, Nicoletta Ieda, Riccardo Rosati, and Domenico Vitobello. "Robotic Surgery for Deep Endometriosis: A Paradigm Shift." The International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery 10 (2013): 140-46. Print.
- Bedaiwy, Mohamed A., Mohamed Abdel Y. Rahman, Mark Chapman, Heidi Frasure, Sangeeta Mahajan, Vivian E. Von Gruenigen, William Hurd, and Kristine Zanotti. "Robotic-Assisted Hysterectomy for the Management of Severe Endometriosis: A Retrospective Review of Short-Term Surgical Outcomes." JSLS, Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons 17.1 (2013): 95-99. Print.
- Ercoli, A., M. D'asta, A. Fagotti, F. Fanfani, F. Romano, G. Baldazzi, M. G. Salerno, and G. Scambia. "Robotic Treatment of Colorectal Endometriosis: Technique, Feasibility and Short-term Results." Human Reproduction 27.3 (2012): 722-26. Print.
- Dulemba, John F., Cyndi Pelzel, and Helen B. Hubert. "Retrospective Analysis of Robot-assisted versus Standard Laparoscopy in the Treatment of Pelvic Pain Indicative of Endometriosis." Journal of Robotic Surgery 7.2 (2013): 163-69. Print.
- Nezhat, C. L., M.; Kotikela, S.; Veeraswamy, A.; Saadat, L.; Hajhosseini, B. (2010). "Robotic versus standard laparoscopy for the treatment of endometriosis." Fertility and Sterility. (2010)
- Nezhat, CR; Stevens, A; Balassiano, E; and Rose Soliemannjad. "Robotic-Assisted Laparoscopy vs Conventional Laparoscopy for the Treatment of Advanced Stage Endometriosis." JMIG 22.1 (2015): 40-44
Important Safety Information
Serious complications may occur in any surgery, including da Vinci® Surgery, up to and including death. Individual surgical results may vary. Patients should talk to their doctor to decide if da Vinci Surgery is right for them. Patients and doctors should review all available information on non-surgical and surgical options in order to make an informed decision. Please also refer to http://www.daVinciSurgery.com/Safety for Important Safety Information.
©2017 Intuitive Surgical, Inc. All rights reserved. Product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders. The information on this website is intended for a United States audience only.