Head & Neck Conditions (Throat Cancers)
When non-surgical treatments cannot ease your symptoms or treat your condition, doctors often recommend surgery to throat cancer patients. Throat cancer refers to a category of conditions including: tonsil cancer, cancer of the larynx (laryngeal cancer), cancer of the pharynx (pharyngeal cancer) and tongue cancer.
The size, stage and location of the tumor will determine the type of surgery that your doctor recommends. There are two main types of throat cancer surgery: open surgery and transoral surgery (through the mouth).
Throat cancer includes:
- Oral cavity: inner lip, tongue, floor of mouth, gingivae (gums), and hard palate (roof of mouth)
- Nasopharynx: nasal cavities and tubes that connect the upper part of the throat
- Oropharynx: soft palate, base of tongue and tonsils
- Hypopharynx: sinuses, wall of pharynx (tube behind the nose/nasal cavity) and postcricoid area (where larynx and esophagus meet)
- Larynx: mainly voice box and vocal cords
- Trachea: windpipe
The type of treatment and/or surgery your doctor suggests will depend on the size, stage and location of the tumor. If surgery is recommended, it can include: open surgery (through one large incision) or transoral surgery (minimally invasive surgery through the mouth).
Minimally invasive surgery can be done through transoral laser surgery or da Vinci transoral robotic-assisted surgery (TORS).
- Learn more: da Vinci TORS
The da Vinci System has brought minimally invasive surgery to more than 3 million patients worldwide. da Vinci technology – changing the experience of surgery for people around the world.
- To locate a da Vinci surgeon nearest you, use our surgeon locator.
- Learn more about the da Vinci Surgical System
Important Safety Information
Serious complications may occur in any surgery, including da Vinci® Surgery, up to and including death. Individual surgical results may vary. Patients should talk to their doctor to decide if da Vinci Surgery is right for them. Patients and doctors should review all available information on non-surgical and surgical options in order to make an informed decision. Please also refer to http://www.daVinciSurgery.com/Safety for Important Safety Information.
©2016 Intuitive Surgical, Inc. All rights reserved. Product names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders. The information on this website is intended for a United States audience only.